Ten Arkansas Places Added to Historic Register

Ogan House, Wynne, Arkansas (photo courtesy Arkansas Historic Preservation Program)

Arkansas has ten new properties on the National Register of Historic Places, according to the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. The new listings are:

• The Servetus W. Ogan House at Wynne in Cross County, a circa 1910 ornamental concrete block building designed in the American Foursquare style of architecture.

• The Lawrence County Courthouse at Walnut Ridge, built in 1965-66 and designed in a modern style with influences of New Formalism by the Arkansas architecture firm of Erhart, Eichenbaum, Rauch and Blass.

• The Blytheville Air Force Base Capeheart Housing Historic District at Blytheville in Mississippi County, featuring buildings constructed between 1957 and 1962 to serve Air Force servicemen and their families.

• The Arkansas 79 Bridge Approaches over the White River at Clarendon.

• The Shady Lake Recreation Area Historic District near Athens in Polk County, featuring buildings, structures and landscape features constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1935 and 1940.

• The Lawyers’ Row Historic District at Malvern in Hot Spring County, featuring buildings erected between 1910 and 1920 that traditionally housed law offices.

• Malvern Commercial Historic District at Malvern in Hot Spring County, including commercial buildings constructed between 1897 and 1925.

• The Mathews-Storey House at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a Craftsman-style Airplane Bungalow built in 1924-25.

• The Dan Stowers Office Building at Little Rock in Pulaski County, an International-style building constructed in 1960-61.

• Sam and Shirley Strauss House at Cammack Village in Pulaski County, a Mid-Century Modern-style structure built in 1963-64 from a design by architect Noland Blass Jr.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *