Through the Cabin Window – February, 2016

75 YEARS AGO, February 3, 1941

♦  Funeral services were held for Thomas Madison Moore, 78, a native of Faulkner County and a member of one of its oldest families. A resident of Conway, Mr. Moore was born Dec. 19, 1862, a son of Madison Elliot and Margaret Ragsdale Moore, pioneer settlers of the county. He was a charter member of the Greenbrier Masonic lodge and the Conway First Presbyterian Church.

100 YEARS AGO, February 4, 1916

♦  In Enola, B.S. Shock, our retired merchant, is going to the North Arkansas Railroad on a prospecting tour in the near future. We hope he will come back satisfied to spend the rest of his life at Enola.

♦  Jersey Cardin, our poultry man, has just received a very fine young cockerel from some point in Illinois that cost him about $4.

More interest is being manifested here now in diversified farming than ever before, which shows our people are waking up.

50 YEARS AGO, February 4, 1966

♦  The state Prison Board approved a set of rules and regulations for punishment of inmates with a leather strap, including a limit of 10 lashes.

♦  Conway officials were notified that the federal government had agreed to purchase the property formerly occupied by the Hotel Bachelor for $35,000 as a site for a new post office. The property was purchased by the Conway Corp. from Scotty Barber in 1964. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1963. (Ed. Note: This site was not to be used for the Post Office building, but for the parking lot.)

100 YEARS AGO, February 8, 1916

♦  At Reeves Schoolhouse [located west of Conway], a few in our vicinity went and inspected the Kansas train. They reported that Kansas products are of many varieties and of excellent quality. Our school is progressing very nicely now. Although about half of the pupils have to cross the creek, the attendance is hardly altered. The parents, as well as boys and girls, seem interested. They put them across the creek all right. One of the most special things about this school now is the installation of a library.

100 YEARS AGO, February 7, 1916

♦  A modern business and office building at the southeast corner of Front and Oak streets, to cost from $25,000 to $30,000, is a certainty and two other big building projects in the same block are at least possibilities for the present calendar year. F.U. Halter today confirmed the report that he would improve his property at Front and Oak streets, regarded as the most valuable corner in the city, with a modern building which will be a credit to the city.

It will be three stories in height, 75 feet by 100 feet, in the rear joining Mr. Halter’s new two-story building which fronts on Oak Street. Mr. Halter said that unless the cost proves too prohibitive, the new building will be of entirely fire-proof construction. The outside walls will probably be white brick and the interior walls and floors steel and concrete.

The owner also hopes to have marble wainscoting throughout the building. It will be provided an elevator, heating apparatus and all modern conveniences and appliances.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *