Through the Cabin Window – May, 2016

100 YEARS AGO, February 12, 1916

♦  In connection with plans for the observance of “Conway Day,” February 25, the Shakespeare, the Hem Culture, the Civic and the Orpheus clubs offer two prizes to the students of the city. The first is open to students of the grades and the high school, to the preparatory department of Hendrix and of Central Colleges and to students below the junior class of the State Normal School.

A prize of two dollars in gold is offered for the best poem of six stanzas or more, dealing with some phase of Conway life and progress. Each stanza is to end with a refrain containing the thought, but not necessarily the exact words or meter, “Watch Conway Grow.” The second similar prize is offered under the same conditions to the college students and to members of the junior and senior classes of the State Normal School.

75 YEARS AGO, March 11, 1941

♦  The “weekly wash” of the G.A. Covington family, who resided on Railroad Avenue, was destroyed by fire when flames from a wash pot fire started a grass fire. The burning grass set the clothing on fire. Even the clothes pins were burned. The family was not at home when the fire occurred.

The Conway City Council denied a request by Mrs. Coy Malone of Plumerville for a permit to build a service station at Harkrider and Chestnut streets. The request was opposed by St. Joseph Catholic Church and School.

Several Vilonia residents were offering a $50 reward for the arrest and conviction of a thief who stole 18 chickens from A.J. Weaver.

50 YEARS AGO, November 30, 1966

♦  The Educational Television Commission voted in Little Rock to reiterate its decision of several months earlier to locate the station in Conway. There had been reports that pressure was being applied to rescind the decision and locate the station in Little Rock. Conway had obligated itself to pay up to $61,000 to bring the station to this city.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *