Through the Cabin Window – May, 2018

100 YEARS AGO, 1918

♦ Thirty-six professions of faith and 81 additions to the membership of the church, of which 24 were by baptism, were the visible results of a revival that ended at the First Baptist Church. The evangelist for the revival was Dr. B.B. Bailey of Arkadelphia.

♦ One of the most novel and patriotic window displays was the Red Cross window at S.G. Smith’s store on Front Street. In the window was a Continue reading

Spring 2018 Facts and Fiddlings Published

Facts and Fiddlings journal, Faulkner County Historical Society

The 2018 spring edition of Faulkner Facts and Fiddlings, the Faulkner County Historical Society’s journal, is now available. This special commemorative issue highlights the recent restoration of the Springfield-Des Arc Bridge at its new home on Beaverfork Lake.

Previous Faulkner Facts and Fiddling articles by Guy Murphy and Fred Petrucelli about the bridge’s restoration in 1992 are reprinted. They recount the bridge’s history as well as past attempts to preserve this oldest bridge in Arkansas.

Also included are also reprints of articles that appeared in the Log Cabin Democrat and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette during the bridge restoration. Carol Rolf’s article, “History Society Seeks to Preserve 1870s Structure,” first appeared in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette River Valley Edition August 16, 2015.

When the newly-restored Springfield Bridge was dedicated in September 2017, a special guest, Hattie Lee Hankins, 99, attended the ceremony. She has lived by the bridge her entire life and recently recounted her memories for a special article, “Life by the Springfield-Des Arc Bridge,” included in this publication. There are also anecdotes from others who have fond memories of the old bridge.

Pictures of the dedication ceremony, a list of contributors who sponsored the safety railings, and recent honors that have been bestowed on the city of Conway, Faulkner County, Workin’ Bridges and the Faulkner County Historical Society for the historic restoration of this bridge are included. There is also information about the Ultimate Restorations documentary about the bridge that is scheduled to air in the fall.

The issue is available for $4 at the Faulkner County Museum and the Faulkner County Library. Members of the historical society will receive a copy as part of their membership benefits.
The Faulkner County Historical Society is a nonprofit organization that seeks to bring together those people interested in history, especially the history of Faulkner County. It regularly sponsors programs and publishes articles that focus on the rich history of the county.

Information about how to join the society can be found in the journal, at the Faulkner County Historical Society website, www.faulknerhistory.org, or the society’s Facebook page. See the website for more articles about Faulkner County history as well as upcoming history society activities.

Cindy Burnett Beckman is local freelance history writer. Her “A Look Back” column of Faulkner County history appears every Tuesday in the Log Cabin and appears monthly in Winc. Magazine.

Through the Cabin Window – April, 2018

100 YEARS AGO, 1918

♦ Three firms occupying the old Halter Building on the corner of Oak and Front streets were moving their stocks and fixtures to new stands until the new building, to be erected by F.U. Halter, was completed. Greeson Drug Co. and V.G. Craig were moving into the Martin and Scroggin Building adjoining the Faulkner County Bank, while the Racket Store was moving into the Donaghey Building on the west side of the railroad, next door to the millinery store of Mrs. Nettie F. Hoss. Work on the new building was started at once.

75 YEARS AGO, 1943

♦ Brig. Gen. Henry G. Lewis would be the speaker at the graduation of 249 WAACs, the first class to graduate from the WAAC Branch #3 at ASTC.

♦ Lee Mode & Son announced a third auction to be held at their barn, 1103 Front Street. Two hundred and fifty head of white-faced heifers and bulls two years old would be put up for sale. Col. Roy R. Chaney would be the auctioneer.

♦ Inter City Transit officials said 375 passengers rode the bus on opening day. Several runs at night had passengers standing in the aisles.

50 YEARS AGO, 1968

♦ McNutt Funeral Home and Doolin Funeral Home jointly announced that they would discontinue ambulance service effective July 1. Pence Funeral Home discontinued ambulance service several months ago. J&J Ambulance Service of Batesville would provide professional ambulance service in Conway.

♦ Millar Hall, located a block west of Hendrix, was serving its last year as a dormitory. It would either be sold or torn down. It was erected in the early 1920s to house the former Hendrix Academy.

♦ Curtis Flower Shop, located 18 years at 1204 Oak Street, moved to the Bahner Building at Front and Oak streets where Hager Jewelry Store formerly was located. Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Curtis purchased the flower shop from Mrs. Robert A. McNutt and the late Mr. McNutt in 1960. Mrs. Carl Karber had been with the firm for four years.

25 YEARS AGO, 1993

♦ Bob Meriwether retired after being a Hendrix professor of history and political science for 34 years.

♦ The Faulkner County Fiddle Band was pictured playing following the 120th anniversary celebration for Faulkner County: Neal Buffaloe, Faril Simpson, Ferris Baker, Bill Whitenack and Ralva Bass. Rick Willbanks, president of the Faulkner County Historical Society, presented two historical society publications to Faulkner County Judge John Wayne Carter for the county’s use.

♦ A new I-40 bridge was being constructed over the Cadron Creek on the Faulkner-Conway county line.

♦ The Sears store in Conway was to become a retail outlet after Sears announced plans to close 2,000 catalog stores and discontinue its catalog. Carroll DuVall was owner of the store in the Conway Towne Centre.

10 YEARS AGO, 2008

♦ Jack Bell resigned his position from the Conway City Council to fill the position of Mayor Tab Townsell’s assistant.

♦ The Greenbrier Board of Education unanimously approved the hiring of Scott Spainhour as superintendent of schools.

♦ Corey Oliver, a teacher at Bob Courtway Middle School, was pictured receiving $25,000 from Milken Family Foundation chairman Lowell Milken at the 2008 Milken Family Foundation National Education Conference in Los Angeles.

Send Us Your Bridge Stories

The Faulkner County Historical Society, the City of Conway and Faulkner County recently dedicated the restoration and reinstallation of the 120-year-old Springfield Bridge that spanned Cadron Creek. It now proudly spans the cove at Conway’s Lake Beaverfork to be enjoyed by all.

The bridge restoration has received various awards and the Faulkner County Historical Society would like to commemorate this project Continue reading

Historical Society Annual Meeting Set for March 15

The Faulkner County Historical Society’s annual meeting and public program will be held Thursday, March 15, at 6:30 in Courtroom A, Courthouse Square in Conway on Locust Street. The program will include various society news items on events and announcements.

The program will be presented by citizens of the Pine Street Community of Conway who will report on the planning for their Pine Street Museum. Refreshments will be served.