100 YEARS AGO, 1917
♦ The Women’s Missionary Union of Pickles Gap sold an “investment quilt” at the church. A chance at the quilt was given with every plate supper sold for 25 cents.
♦ The first death of a Faulkner County serviceman occurred when William Luther Fulmer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fulmer of Beryl, died at Camp Jackson, Columbia, SC.
♦ Six war savings stamps were purchased by Dave Stewart, who presented them to his three children, his son-in-law, his daughter-in-law and his grandchild as Christmas gifts. The stamps, which cost $4.12 each, would be worth $5 each on January 1, 1923.
75 YEARS AGO, 1942
♦ With a record of the greatest relative improvement in the nation in quality dairy products sold to creameries, Faulkner County farmers were finding that more sanitary handling methods were both patriotic and profitable. Information had been received from Swift & Company national headquarters, largest dairy processing concern in the country, that greater progress had been made in lowering the mold mycelia count in butter produced in Conway than any of the country’s creameries in the nation. The quality of the milk that went into the manufacture of cheese had also greatly improved so the highest quality cheese could be produced locally.
50 YEARS AGO, 1967
♦ Mayor Walter Dunaway was pictured signing a petition for a proposed constitutional amendment to lower the voting age for Arkansas electors from 21 to 18. The petition, the first to be circulated in Conway, was brought to the mayor’s office by Tom Eley, president of the Young Democrats Club at SCA. The Young Democrats Clubs at SCA, Hendrix and in Faulkner County began a campaign in the business district to gather signatures.
♦ James F. Pew, CHS vocational agriculture instructor, was pictured explaining the mechanism of a small gas engine to his students, Darrell Russell, Freddie Morgan, Tim Starkey, Farrell Russell and Danny May. One hundred and two boys were enrolled in the vocational agriculture department which provided technical and laboratory instruction. In the third and fourth year, the boys were given instruction in business ownership, economics, finance and accounting.
25 YEARS AGO, 1992
♦ The Frauenthal and Schwarz Building at 824 Front Street, occupied by American Management, was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The two-story brick structure was built in 1879 and included the first plate glass window in Conway. It was remodeled in 1915 and again in 1925. The aluminum siding attached over the entire upper façade in the 1960s was removed in 1989.
♦ American Management was in the process of moving into the Frauenthal and Schwarz building and the adjoining Simon’s Grocery property. Bob Kordsmeier previously owned the Frauenthal and Schwarz Building while Dr. J.J. Magie owned the Simon proper.
10 YEARS AGO, 2007
♦ Conway High West principal Rodney Matheney was pictured speaking at the dedication ceremony of the school’s new gymnasium.
♦ The Old Conway Preservation Society made a self-guided tour booklet, “Art in Architecture: Historic Homes of Conway,” available for purchase. Two Conway natives, Nancy Breeden Mitchell and Vivian Hogue, collaborated on the booklet.
♦ UCA President Lu Hardin announced plans for a 82,000-square-foot business building. The $18 million state-of-the-art building would be constructed directly behind Wingo Hall and would have a 200-seat lecture hall.
♦ The old Steel Chevrolet building at Court and Main was being renovated to house two new restaurants, Doe’s Eat Place and Old Chicago.