100 YEARS AGO, 1918
♦ Thirty-six professions of faith and 81 additions to the membership of the church, of which 24 were by baptism, were the visible results of a revival that ended at the First Baptist Church. The evangelist for the revival was Dr. B.B. Bailey of Arkadelphia.
♦ One of the most novel and patriotic window displays was the Red Cross window at S.G. Smith’s store on Front Street. In the window was a tent, under which was a cot with the figure of a wounded soldier lying on it. Standing over the man was a wax figure of a young woman dressed in the uniform of the Red Cross nurse. Appropriate placards told the passerby to do his “bit.” The window was arranged by S.T. Simpson of the dry goods department of S.G. Smith.
75 YEARS AGO, 1943
♦ Enrollment of women high school graduates in summer courses for engineering, science, management, and war training (ESMWT) in more than 1,000 towns and cities across the U.S. was expected to furnish the war industry with more than 100,000 trained workers before the end of the year, Paul McNutt, war manpower commission chairman said. Some 200,000 women would also be upgraded to supervisory or technical positions. ESMWT courses in a particular locality were related directly to the college level training needs of local industries.
♦ Courses of instruction for auxiliaries in WAAC branch No. 3, army administration schools, at ASTC were extended from six weeks to eight weeks. Class No. 4 would be the first to attend classes for eight weeks.
♦ Sixty boys registered at the fire station to work during a Conway cleanup drive being sponsored by Y.B.M.A. They would be paid $3 for two days or would be given a week’s camping privilege at Camp Kiwanis on Cove Creek.
50 YEARS AGO, 1968
♦ The Conway Bible Study Fellowship, an interdenominational group, finished its second year with a guest night. One hundred and twenty women representing eight denominations and 37 local churches attended the group regularly.
♦ A marker was unveiled at a site where Col. A.P. Robinson, the founder of Conway, first lived; it was placed in the yard of Mr. and Mrs. George M. Schichtl, 1315 College Avenue. The marker was erected by the Faulkner County Historical Society. George Hartje, Jr. and Edgar B. Parker, president of the society, were pictured standing by the marker.
♦ Dr. Maude Carmichael, retired college professor of economics, was instrumental in raising funds for the erection of the Greathouse Restoration. A marker was unveiled at the site.
♦ Carl Stuart, Conway High School principal, was named acting superintendent, replacing Supt. H.L. Stanfill who had been ill since February.
25 YEARS AGO, 1993
♦ Law enforcement officers and guests gathered for a memorial ceremony and the unveiling of a new memorial, built in honor of three fallen police officers, in front of the Conway Police Department. Bobby Harkrider, assisted by Patrolman Robert Martin’s daughter, Robin Tyler, unveiled the monument.
♦ Rick Willbanks, chairman of the Faulkner County Memorial Committee and president of the Faulkner County Historical Society, officially presented the Veterans’ Memorial on the Faulkner County Courthouse lawn to County Judge John Wayne Carter. Hundreds attended the dedication of the monument which honored 166 Faulkner County citizens who died in America’s wars of the 20th century.
♦ Dr. Calvin Ledbetter, Jr. was honored at a reception and autograph party for his book, “Carpenter from Conway: George Washington Donaghey as Governor of Arkansas, 1909-1913.”
♦ Bob Meriwether, professor of education, history and political science at Hendrix College, was honored at Conway High School’s graduation as the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award. Sen. David Pryor was the commencement speaker.
10 AGO, 2008
♦ Wilkinson’s Mall celebrated its 40th anniversary. Jeanie “Wilkie” and Bill Wilkinson started it as a wholesale shoe business 1968. Bill Wilkinson passed away in 1974 and in 1986, the family re-incorporated the business as Wilkinson’s Mall, a wholesale and retail business.
♦ Hunter and Esther McClellan announced the opening of a U.S. Pizza in Conway at the Satterfield Station on Front Street.
♦ Conway soccer coach Robert Irons was pictured presenting a plaque to all-state keeper Stephen Maxwell in the Media Center at Conway High School West. He also presented state championship rings to the team.
♦ The groundbreaking for the City of Colleges Park, a softball complex, was set for June 4. The five-field complex would be located at Siebenmorgen Road and Bob Courtway Drive.